Pages

Monday 23 December 2013

Funniest "Do not send me..." on Postcrossing profiles

I absolutely adore going to the Postcrossing website and simply spending a while perusing peoples' profiles. Yup, I'm one of those curious types - "nosy", for want of a better word - and it's endlessly fascinating to see the different ways people use to describe themselves - and what wonderful self-portraits they often end up being. Something that always makes me lol, however, is when it comes to listing what cards people would like. More specifically, the ones they very much wouldn't like. This usually goes as follows:
  • Animals
  • Birds
  • Children
  • Flowers
  • Self-made cards
  • Ad cards.
Ok, I kinda get it with ad cards. I've had a few myself and of course it's a little disppointing that someone picked up the nearest piece of crap that fell out of a newspaper and sent it to you, all the while in line for someone else's thoughtful card. Major suckage, I know. Then again, I'm never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, so into my organiser it goes, only to be retrieved on a day of self-flagellation. 

But come on, chaps - who wouldn't like a kitten on the doormat? Or a puppy? An innocent child, a beautiful flower - or a sweet card that someone lovingly hand-crafted? Why would anyone rudely and pre-emptively reject what is only intended as the kindest of gestures? When you look at it like that, it all starts to seem a bit silly, this snobbery about "cutesy" (their word) cards. Each Postcrossing sent to you is a little moment of friendship so don't be so darned fussy!

People also moan about multi-view cards. This is quite unpleasant because not everyone has a big selection to choose from in their local shop, and anyway, multi-views are nice! They show different aspects of a place so it's always interesting.

I must give the best "Do not send me..." to myself, however. "PLEASE NO NUDITY" was the message I had to hastily add to my profile after several German Postcrossers inexplicibly sent me nakey men. I don't know what the postman must have thought.

3 comments:

  1. I have collected postcards for a long time, and I collect many postcard topics.My profile states that I am NOT very interested in postcard views of buildings or scenery. Although my profile doesn't say anything about multiviews, I would rather have a multiview than a single view (unless the "view" is one of my preferred topics.) There are some very nice ad cards, and one of my favorite topics is INTERESTING AD CARDS (not the boring or ugly ones). I do ask people not to send folded cards (instead of POSTCARDS).

    ReplyDelete
  2. After 5 years as postcrosser, I've got the conclusion that it's better to say what do you want to get, instead of what you don't want. And keeping my profile short, because some people don't read it anyway!

    However I must say I've received very few "ugly" postcards and tones of amazing postcards. I like to think that what is ugly for me is beautiful for the sender for some reason. People is usually really kind in the postcrosser site, and I'm very grateful to my fellow postcrossers!

    Lately some of my letters (sent from Morocco) have lost and this discourages me alot. So I'm sending less postcards now... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, who wouldn't want one with birds?! ;) I have to agree with you... some of the ones I read are hilarious... but I agree with this comment above me^^... it's better to post what you want vs. what you don't want! :)

    ReplyDelete